Sunday, February 22, 2009

the needs of the many

It's no secret that I'm a Star Trek fan; in fact, I have been one since a very young age. You might even say that I'm a Trekkie. Regardless, I am very disturbed by the new Star Trek movie that's coming out this year. Nerd alert: Chekov on board the Enterprise with Pike? And as a bridge officer?! And the new Enterprise doesn't look anything like the original. And what's up with the new iBridge? Where's the multicolored lighting? The analog switches and dials?

Unfortunately, established continuity and decades' worth of episodes and films being thoroughly disregarded by Trek director J.J. Abrams is only the latest event in a long line of re-imaginings and remakes by directors that are hell-bent on ruining my childhood and classic films. What could possibly be next?

That's why I take solace in watching old Star Trek episodes, which were campy but goddamn awesome. I mean, where else will you find a show that has its main characters infiltrate a planet filled with Nazis by posing as them? The answer is nowhere, and it seems that you'll never find it anywhere else. I therefore offer you this tribute to a television show that inspired me to dream and reach for the stars.



And because of that, I'm now an aerospace engineer.

No comments:

Post a Comment